A Fire and a Name
The Revelry had long started by the time they arrived. She had not spoken much as they picked through the woods, save a direction to help find mark, and after coming into the clearing, had left him as quickly as she had found him, off to go speak to her friends who had already begun to gather around the fire.
He grabbed a mug and filled it with ale by the casks.
“You’re a bit late, aren’t ya, lad?” The brew hand manning the casks was watching as he poured. “Thought ya might go off on yer own?” He smiled and winked.
“Yeah,” he said, his face flushing. “Guess I was a bit off.”
“How’d ya make it here?” the brew hand asked.
He nodded in the direction of the woman who found him. She was laughing with friends her friends. “She helped me out. I didn’t even catch her name. Can you tell me?”
“Ah lad, that’s a question ya be have to be askin’ yerself,” the brew hand replied. “And it look’s like ya may just get a shot.”
The brew hand gestured over to where she was walking their way. She sauntered up and held out her empty mug. “Another ale please, good sir.”
“Certainly, miss.” The brew hand grabbed her mug and turned his back to the two of them to fill it. She smiled.
“You’re lucky I found you. Those woods can be tricky when you think you know the way. Best to stay on mark.”
His face flushed. “Yeah, I thought I knew where I was. Thank you, by the way.”
“No problem,” she said. “I’d rather see everyone get to the fire in one piece.” Her smile dropped. “But you should know that people do get lost. You may think you know these woods or these streets, but until you’ve been doing this a while, you should probably stay with everyone else on mark.”
He looked down at his ale. “Yeah.” A pause settled and grew. Finally he looked up. “I didn’t even get your name to give you a proper thanks.”
“My name?” She pointed to her neck. Hanging on a cord of leather was a charm. He leaned in to read it.
“Jester Molester?” he laughed. “And What’s the story behind that name?”
“Ask around. I’m sure anyone here with a few mugs of ale in them would love to tell you.”
“And do you have a real name?” he asked.
“Why would you like to know that?”
“I just want to really know who I am talking to, that’s all. I am more than Just. My birth name is-”
But before he could tell her, she rushed to stop him. “No!” she exclaimed. “You are Just. That’s all for now. Do not tell me your birth name.”
“Why?” he asked, confusion apparent on his face.
“Don’t you know the nature of names?” His blank face was telling, and she continued. “When you know someone’s true birth name, you have control over them. Yes, we all have names, but this are given to us for the Running by the Running. Our true names we keep to ourselves. That is why you are Just and will remain so until you are given a name that you can use freely while here. But guard your birth name until then.”
He nodded. “Come on, Just,” she said with a smile. “Let’s go join the Revelry.”
Your regularly scheduled program this week is:
EWH3# 832: The No Frills, All Gills Trail! 6:45 PM Thursday, May 29, 2014 – Foggy Bottom Metro (Blue/Orange Line)
Leave the tutu at home this week and break out the shiggy socks and floaties. Your hares WILL get you wet. And possibly itchy, but that should totally clear up with some Calamine lotion. (We hope. You may want to get that shit checked out, yo.)
When: 6:45 PM Thursday May 29, 2014. Pack away at 7:15!
Where: Foggy Bottom Metro (Blue/Orange Line). Follow marks to the start (in the middle of the circle)!
Hares: Yellow Line, Tosh.Homo, There’s a Clap for That, Jew With a Dragon Tattoo, Bitch Please
Miscellaneous Crap: Trail is Live A to A. PI risk is medium. Bring shiggy socks, a headlamp, and dry clothes. It should be a nice night so pack light so we don’t kill Plan B! Be smart, have fun. YEAH!
Last trains out of the Foggy Bottom Metro:
Weather: H66; L59; Winds ENE at 9mph. Chance of rain 30%
On On On
3205 K Street NW
Washington, DC 20007
Specials: TBD, but generally cheap beers and good food
(1) Save the Date: EWH3 Pubcrawl is Saturday, July 12! More details to follow, but generally speaking, you’re in for a day-drinking bonanza of fun!
(2) H4 Full Moon Party Bus 2.0 on July 11th! Here we go again! After the July Full Moon trail, get on the bus for a wild ride to & from three clubs/bars. Each party bus will include music, lights, stripper poles, and wankers are allowed to bring their own “beverages” in resealable plastic containers for the bus. Don’t forget your ID! We are also allowed to leave bags on the bus, but you do so at your own risk. Price includes Full Moon trail, party bus, and hot food (provided by the bar at On-In after trail). Full details & rego here! –https://store.hashspace.com/product.php?productid=17011
(3) The WH4 Camp Out will be July 25–27 in Rileyville, VA! For those of you not making the trek across the pond to Brussels, come join EWH3’s mother hash during their annual camp out. Rego includes multiple trails, all the beer you can drink, food, and TUBING! For more info, visit the WH4 website or Rego here!
(4) The 2014 DC Red Dress Run is open for registration and you can register here! This event does sell out, so register now!
(5) The Pudjam Party (party for all the DC-area hashes) is on June 21st, 2014 @ 8PM! $20 for just the party and all proceeds will go to the Gary Sinise Foundation. There will also be seven trails throughout the weekend that will be centrally located around the party. Cost per trail is set by the kennel or you can buy the hash addict deal (party & all the trails) for $47! Party location is Dude, That Guy’s house at 12417 Arrow Park Ct., Fort Washington, MD 20744. Rego here!
(6)Give back to the hash! Give back to the hash! Give back to the hash! Give back to the hash! Give back to the hash! Give back to the hash! Give back to the hash! Give back to the hash! Give back to the hash! Trails need hare-ing! You wankers need to start looking into the summer, so check the hareline and then email me to reserve a date. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
(7) Thirsty after work Friday? Check out the most-always metro friendly Beltway Bob Hash Happy Hour http://www.dchashing.org/community/beltwaybob/ Tell them you’re from EWH3 and then drink everyone under the table.
(8) If you have NEVER hared before and want to jump on to some already established trails, shoot me an email and I will hook you up!